Did you know that in Office 2010 & 2013 you can recover a file you never saved?
There are a few stipulations:
- You must recover it within a few days of when you created it.
- Your Office program must have Auto-Recover turned on.
- The elapsed time between creating the file and closing the file must be greater than the Auto-Recover time set.
- Open your Office 2010 or 2013 program, i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Click File (tab) > Options.
- Click Save in the left Navigation Pane.
- Verify there is a check in "Save AutoRecover information every __ minutes." Set the number from 5 to 10 minutes. This is the amount of time that elapses before your program will recover the file. Also check the box "Keep the last autosaved version if I close without saving."
- Click OK at the bottom of the window.
- Open the program in which you created the file (that you didn't save).
- Do ONE of the following:
- Office 2010 - click File (tab) > Recent
- Office 2013 - click File (tab)> Open
- At the bottom of the window, click Recover Unsaved Documents.
- A window will open showing all unsaved documents for the past few days.
- Select the file and click Open.