Here's how to compress a single picture that is not a JPEG:
- Open the picture in any picture program such as Google's Picasa or Window's Paint.
- Click File > Save As
- Change the file save as type to .JPG
- Click Save.
- Open the Word document that contains pictures/graphics to compress.
- Double-click on any picture within the document.
- Follow instructions based on your version of MS Word:
- Word 2007-2010: click "Compress Pictures" on the Picture Tools tab, deselect "Apply to selected picture only" (2007) or "Apply only to this picture" (2010), and then click OK.
- Word 2003: In the Format Picture dialog box on the Picture tab, click Compress. Select radio button Apply to: "All pictures in document"; click OK; click Apply; click OK to close the Format Pictures dialog box.